Thursday, March 10, 2011

Week 27: Caddyshack

Dear Avid Reader,

Spring Break next week. And I deserve it. I'm gonna do less than nothing.

It's possible. Just watch me.

Don't Sell Yourself Short Judge, You're A Tremendous Slouch

Caddyshack isn't the greatest movie of all time. In fact, it may only be a medium movie. What draws people to it is Rodney, Ted, Bill, and Chevy. These are the four dudes that are on the movie poster and all the DVD boxes. They're the ones with best lines, you know, the ones everyone quotes. And it's shocking to find out that Danny Noonan's story was originally the whole movie. Seriously. Danny Noonan.

See when the filming began the script was a romantic comedy with a little humor here and there. But then they got these great cameos from Ted and Rodney and everyone. And they did the smartest thing anyone on any movie set did, they shifted the focus to have more of these geniuses on camera more. It destroyed any meaningful plot but gave room for some hilarious stuff from improv masters like Chevy and Bill. In fact, all of Bill Murray's lines are unscripted. Awesome right?

That's A Peach, Hon!

As I watched the movie this time I wondered if the actors knew how many times there performances would be repeated on golf courses and college campuses. I especially wonder this about Bill Murray. The guy was only shot over six days but he is easily the most quoted and remember out of the bunch. I guess if he knew exactly how popular the flick would become he might had worked harder. Maybe not. They smoked a lot of weed back in the 70's.

Gunga Galunga... Gunga, Gunga-Lagunga

I guess that is the fun and wacky thing about life. Each day holds the possibility to be the day you are most remembered for. There is glory and infamy inside of each dawn. It's such a shame that usually the day ends up being mundane. Such a shame.

There should be more ninjas and spaceships. I think that is what the future will be like. Fed up with hum-drum lives, people will demand pirate attacks and distressed damsels. Companies will begin training strike forces to kidnap grandparents, only a ransom note filled with clues to decipher left in an empty rocking chair. The grandparent plot will be a standard trail subscription adventure of course. Fully armored knight battles are available with the "gallant package" and alien invasions are available to VIP members only.

What was I talking about? Oh Caddyshack. Right. Decent movie. Great quotes. Will be regarded as funny forever? Maybe. I mean it really is only an adequate movie. I wonder if it will survive another generation.

I mean won't they be busy fighting dinosaurs with jet packs?

Until Next I Blog,

James

1 comment:

James said...

Really? What was the idea?