Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Week 28: The Royal Tenenbaums

Dear Avid Reader,

I went to a Das Racist concert last night. It was great. Mostly because it was here in Fort Worth so I didn't have to drive to Dallas.

Dallas sucks. Kinda.

What Characters, There's A Bunch Of Little Kids Dressed Up In Animal Costumes

Families are weird things. The trickiest part is when a child starts coming out from under the shadow of their parents. I believe the difficulty comes from the parent coming to grips with death. I mean, the only significant signpost left for the empty nester is retirement. The end of life must have seemed so far away, and now that the child has become an adult, the end must seem closer. Everytime a graduation cap flies in the air a casket closes. And that is sad.

I think in this film, Royal Tenenbaum's journey explores this transition. Being kicked out of the hotel he must confront the fact that he has alienated everyone he ever loved. And as he gropes in the dark for the family he abandoned, the viewer is charmed by his complete ineptitude to understand the only relationships he has. I begin to wonder why Chas and Margot are so disappointed in him. After all, the guy has no idea how bad at this he is. And he's really bad.

Of Course It's Dark, It's A Suicide Note

I sometimes hold my family to higher standards that I should. I've know them all my life, and I catch myself wishing they would act differently. But why would they? I mean, I'm not gonna change how I act and think, what gives me the right to demand it of them? Probably because I'm greedy. Not any kind of greedy mind you. American greedy.

American greedy is the thick stuff. Not only do you want it, you are entitled to it. Americans won the galactic lottery by being born into the greatest wealth man has ever known. Fueled by abundant resources and lit by European and Asian destruction following World War II, current generations somehow think the huge fire that warms them was earned. Bullcrap. It was chanced.

And They Rode On In The Friscalating Dusklight

I have recently glimpsed the black, beating heart of this monster. As I mentioned before I was at a concert recently. At this concert there was a woman in a blue dress. She was pretty and very drunk. She tapped my shoulder during one of the louder opening acts. She wanted to sit on the bar that I was leaning on. I told her that was fine and I asked for a cigarette. What? It was one cigarette! Seriously? Judging ME? Fine. That's bullcrap, but fine.

Anyway she soon left her perch and mingled in the crowd. She was grinding with strangers and the bolder men would grind back. But she would grow bored and move to the next man. Like a humming bird. Except her ass was her beak and the flowers were crotches.

And then there was this guy in a wheelchair. I had conversed a little with him when he asked for help getting outside to chill. He was cool, but definitely traveling alone. Alone, but not for long. As he watched the show from the crowd, the blue dressed lady made her way over to him. and upon finding him, began to gyrate and grind to the music. Using the wheelchair for balance, she swayed her body closer and closer to him, finally leaning in for a kiss. The gentleman hoggishly slurped back. And there they embraced, in the dark, surrounded by jealous crotches.

You Heard Me Coltrane

Now I don't care what people do. If you want to hook up with a stranger, I understand. What concerned me was that the girl was so freaking drunk. It just felt so seedy watching that guy totally take advantage of the situation. I guess they were consenting, but somehow it didn't feel that way. It was in that moment that i glimpsed the liquid bile center of the country. Here it is: screw other people, I'm taking what I deserve, and I deserve everything. We should put it on the money and in the pledge.

I literally felt the room spin. My brain felt as if it was cut on the sharp edge of sanity. Suddenly, I wanted to break a pool cue on the bar and smash my teeth together. I wanted to scream. I felt Noah's flood rippling beneath my shoulders and coursing to my fists. I was in Pamplona and everything was red. Each breath was a car explosion. And then, just as quickly, it was gone.

She continued to alternate between her new boyfriend and her cross-pollination with the other men of the club the entire night. I guess during their brief courtship they established an rather open relationship.

"Wildcat" Was Written In A Kind Of Obselete Vernacular

This starting to sound like I want this woman to feel bad for being freer than me sexually. I'm not trying to do that. The jokes are just too easy I guess. But I really do wonder what humanity thinks they are doing on this spinning rock. Is it really cool to take advantage of a drunk girl? After all, she's an adult, she makes her own choices. But tha is like throwing up our hands and putting it all on personal responsibility. Is that the end of it? Shouldn't folks feel responsible for each other?

Families are weird things. Even so, we should try to act like we're all in one together.

Until Next I Blog,

James

No comments: