Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Week 23: Groundhog Day

Dear Avid Reader,

A groundhog, a beetle, and a horse. Stone cold chillin'.

Well, What If There Is No Tomorrow? There Wasn't One Today.


Horse: Here's what I wanted to say. I just think it's pretty sweet to have a day that belongs to you. It's like a big deal.

Groundhog: Hardly. They wake me up, early mind you, and hoist me up while a bunch of rubes stand there slack-jawed demanding that I predict the future. I'm not freaking God!

Horse: Really? I mean I get a lot of play for being a horse. My power is a standard for the auto industry. They are always filming a western. The theft of me is a capital offense on some books still. But never my own day.

Groundhog: That stupid legend and that idiot Sonic are the worst things that ever happened to me.

They Used To Pull The Hog Out And They Used To Eat It. You're Hypocrites!


Horse: Isn't there a movie about Groundhog Day?

Groundhog: You have movies too. Seabiscuit, National Velvet, Secretariat, Horse Whisperer, freaking Black Beauty.

Horse: Yeah but those movies sucked. Groundhog Day was a great film.

Beetle: True that! Bill Murray rocks. You guys seen The Man Who Knew Too Little? Great flick. Totally underrated.

Groundhog: That Groundhog Day movie just further mythologized that moronic day. It created more buzz for the worst holiday on the calendar. The only day worse is April Fool's Day cause it basically gives d-bags a free pass.

Horse: I think it's truly an original work. I think they captured a common fantasy that most people have. To get a second chance. To get to live a day over and get it right.

Beetle: True that! That would rule.

Groundhog: Would it? I mean let's say Phil in the movies never breaks free. Would the next logical thing for him to start doing is the really bad stuff? Wouldn't he crack and start using heroin? Or killing people? Would he become addicted to these things? Is there such a thing as mental addiction and is it stronger than physical addiction?

Horse: That's dark.

Beetle: Way dark. And way METAL!

Anything Different Is Good


Horse: Groundhog Day shouldn't be thought of in those terms. Look at the broader impact of that movie. It's like "It's A Wonderful Life". It has created a short-hand for an entire story. If I say, "It's like Gift of the Magi" you know immediately what I'm talking about.

Groundhog: Yeah but, did you know in the military having a "groundhog day" means unchanging, terrible conditions? I looked that up on Wikipedia.

Beetle: Oh yeah! Wikipedia burn! Wikipedia rules.

Horse: Be that as it may, I think that just strengthens my point. That this movie achieves what the greatest artworks achieve. Permeation into the culture. You must understand this work in order to understand the greater conversation of the society.

Groundhog: How did we get here? Weren't we originally talking about our current legacies in the culture based on humanity's arbitrary decisions? Like why did they choose me to decide on the weather forecast? How did those two things ever become connected? It's stupid.

Beetle: It originated from the German custom of Candelmas dating all the way back to 1841. The emphasis was more on the cloudiness of the day rather than the groundhog. The sunnier the day, the longer the winter. The cloudier, the shorter.

Groundhog: What?

Beetle: Wikipedia on my iPhone for the win! Let's go get drunk!

Until Next I Blog,

James

No comments: